Battery Point Lighthouse, California
When Crescent City incorporated in 1854 it petitioned for a lighthouse to mark its harbor. In May 1855 Congress appropriated $15,000 for the construction of a station. The site selected for the lighthouse was a small islet at the harbor entrance. Luckily the islet was accessible on foot at low tide twice a day which made the transport of construction materials easier.