New London Harbor Lighthouse, Connecticut
By the mid 1700’s New London had grown into one of the busiest whaling ports on the eastern seaboard. In October of 1760 local merchants petitioned the colony’s Assembly to erect a lighthouse at the port’s entrance. As was customary in those days, a lottery was held to raise funds for the construction.
- No Comments