Ponce Inlet Lighthouse, Florida
Just south of Daytona Beach a lighthouse was built to aid the shipping from plantations where the Indian and Halifax Rivers join and empty into the Atlantic. The original lighthouse to mark this location was built by Winslow Lewis in 1835 on the south side of the inlet. At the time the waterway was aptly named 'Mosquito Inlet'. The lighthouse was short-lived however. The oil to light the lamp did not arrive before a storm undermined the foundation of the new lighthouse. Then the 2nd Seminole Indian War broke out and workers could not reach the light to effect repairs. Eventually the lighthouse toppled into the ocean in 1836. It would be another 50 years before another light was built at this location.