Sombrero Key Lighthouse
While the lighthouse sections were under construction in Philadelphia, Meade set out to survey the area and choose a construction site. Coffin’s Patch was an area where a day beacon had been erected in 1852. The beacon was red and white barrel atop a 36 foot iron pole. Temporary construction works were set up that summer to begin building the lighthouse; however a hurricane in August 1856 destroyed the site and postponed construction.
- No Comments