St. Augustine Lighthouse, Florida
In 1823 the Customs Collector for St. Augustine advertised a contract to build the lighthouse. The contract specified that 20 feet of the Spanish watch tower was to be removed, and then walls of 30 feet were to be built on the remaining portion. Work commenced in the fall of 1823 and after a few delays caused by the shortage of construction materials and oil, the lighthouse was completed in March 1824.
- No Comments