Burnt Island Lighthouse, Maine
In 1888 the lantern was modified to create a ‘dead angle’ so that ships could not see the light until past a dangerous group of rocks known as the Cuckolds. This prevented ships from turning too early and wrecking on the obstruction. In 1890 another change was made and the signal became a fixed red light with two white sectors marking the safe approaches to Boothbay Harbor. In 1901 the lens was replaced with a new square rotating lens with 4 bull’s-eyes to produce a flashing red characteristic.
- No Comments