Egg Rock Lighthouse, Maine
The first Keeper of Egg Rock Light was Civil War veteran Ambrose Wasgett who served for 10 years. The exposed location of Egg Rock made it susceptible to storm damage. In March 1876 a storm flooded the lighthouse and moved the bell tower 30 feet. Eventually in 1888 the Light House Board replaced the original bell tower with a new skeletal structure bolted to the rock better able to withstand constant pounding from the storm waves.
- No Comments