Little River Lighthouse, Maine
Located up in the “Bold Coast’ region of downeast Maine, the Little River is the last harbor of refuge in the United States before sailing northward into Canadian waters. A Light House Service inspection report prepared in 1842 recommended a light station to be built on the 16 acre Little River Island at the entrance to Cutler Harbor. The purpose of the light was to identify the safe anchorage at Cutler from nearby false harbors.Read More
22 / 29
The ALF began fundraising and moved forward with the restoration work on the station. In October 2001 the light was returned to the lantern and relit for the first time since 1975. In July 2002 ownership of the station was transferred to the ALF.
- No Comments