Little River Lighthouse, Maine
Located up in the “Bold Coast’ region of downeast Maine, the Little River is the last harbor of refuge in the United States before sailing northward into Canadian waters. A Light House Service inspection report prepared in 1842 recommended a light station to be built on the 16 acre Little River Island at the entrance to Cutler Harbor. The purpose of the light was to identify the safe anchorage at Cutler from nearby false harbors.Read More
15 / 29
**Porthole in the tower** After 1939 Little River Lighthouse became a 3 man Coast Guard station. It remained so until July 1973 when, in order to conserve manpower, it once again became a family station for a single Coast Guard family.
- No Comments