Marshall Point Lighthouse, Maine
In 1898 a fog bell tower was added to the Marshall Point Light Station. The tower housed a 1,000 pound bronze bell struck by machinery which would be wound by the Keeper every 4½ hours. The bell remained active until 1969 when it was replaced by a horn. Unfortunately, the tower was demolished. Also in 1898 a signal system was added by the U.S. Weather Bureau. Keeper Skinner would display various pennants on a mast to warn sailors of stormy weather.
- No Comments