Matinicus Rock Light, Maine
Matinicus Rock along with Monhegan Island and Mount Desert Rock form a line of sea marks used by ocean sailors heading for Penobscot Bay. In 1827 President John Quincy Adams authorized construction of the first lights on Matinicus Rock. To differentiate Matinicus from the light on Monhegan Island, which was established in 1824, the decision was made to build twin lights.
- No Comments