Matinicus Rock Light, Maine
In order to address mariners complaints, in 1857 the Light House Board capped the 1846 towers and constructed new granite 48 foot towers located 180 feet apart. Each tower was outfitted with a 3rd Order Fresnel lens which increased visibility to 23 miles. On July 1, 1883 the north light was extinguished and the south light was changed to a fixed red characteristic. This change was unpopular and the lights were restored to their original fixed characteristics on July 1, 1888.
- No Comments