Matinicus Rock Light, Maine
Twenty miles from the mainland lies a 39 acre collection of volcanic rock marking the entrance to Penobscot Bay from the ocean. Matinicus Rock was named after its neighbor 6 miles to the north, Matinicus Island. The Rock was first recorded in the nautical charts of Captain John Smith in 1614.Read More
12 / 16
**The North Tower** In 1924 the Bureau of Lighthouses finally decided to discontinue the north tower. The lantern room was removed and the tower was capped. The south tower was changed to alternate single and double white flashes every 15 seconds.
- No Comments