Matinicus Rock Light, Maine
In 1853 Samuel Burgess accepted the position of Keeper and moved his invalid wife and four of his children to Matinicus Rock. His daughter Abbie who was 14 served as an assistant to her father. In January 1856 Keeper Burgess left for the mainland to obtain medicine for his wife and other supplies. Soon after the Keepers departure a great winter gale began to blow and inundate the Rock with water. Abbie was alone to care for her mother and the children.
- No Comments