Monhegan Island Lighthouse, Maine
In May 1822 Congress responded by appropriating $3,000 for the construction of the Monhegan Island Lighthouse. A 2 acre plot of land atop Lookout Hill (now known as Lighthouse Hill) was purchased for $100 for the lighthouse station. In November 1823 a contract was awarded to Noah Humphrey and Jairus Thayer of Hingham, Massachusetts to build a tower and keepers dwelling for $2,969.
- No Comments