Monhegan Island Lighthouse, Maine
**The fog signal ruins on Manana Island** Due to frequent foggy conditions in August 1854 $3,500 was appropriated to build a fog signal station. Rather than building the fog signal near the light tower, the Light House Board elected to build on Manana Island across the harbor from Monhegan where the signal would be more effective. A 2,500 pound bronze fog bell with a striker activated by a clockwork mechanism went into service on October 15, 1855. In 1870 the bell was replaced by a ten inch Daboll trumpet powered by a steam engine. The bell was used as a backup for the trumpet.
- No Comments