Portland Breakwater Lighthouse, Maine
In the early 1830's several northeasters caused severe damage to buildings and wharves along the Portland waterfront. In order to protect the harbor it was decided to build a breakwater which would provide a refuge for ships. Construction began in 1837 and continued as money was appropriated. The breakwater eventually reached a length of 1,800 feet but never reached it planned length of 2,500 feet. Once it was built mariners complained the unlit breakwater was a shipping hazard. Therefore an appropriation of $3,500 was made in 1854 to construct a lighthouse at the end of the breakwater.
- No Comments