Portland Breakwater Lighthouse, Maine
The new 24 foot light tower was completed in 1875 and was modeled after the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates that was built in 300 B.C. in Greece. It featured six fluted columns (which cover the joined sections of the iron light) and palmettes decorating the roof and lantern. These distinctive features make this a one-of-a-kind lighthouse tower. The interior of the light is lined with brick for additional stability and insulation.
- No Comments