Portland Head Lighthouse, Maine
Following a wreck in 1864 the tower was raised an additional 20 feet and a 2nd Order Fresnel lens replaced the original lens to provide better visibility. This did not last however, by 1883 the extension was removed and a new lantern and 4th Order lens were installed. Two years later the Light House Board reversed itself again and raised the tower to its current height of 101 feet and reinstalled the 2nd Order lens.
- No Comments