Portland Head Lighthouse, Maine
Local builders Jonathan Bryant and John Nichols were hired to complete the tower within four years. George Washington directed the tower to be built from rubblestone found nearby the lighthouse site and suggested oxen be used to move the stones as a cost saving measure. The planned tower was originally to be 58 feet tall, however upon the realization the light would not be able to be seen from the south the plan was revised to build a 72 foot tower. Upon learning this Bryant quit the job so Nichols completed the tower and a dwelling in late 1790.
- No Comments