Portland Head Lighthouse, Maine
In 1855 the Light House Board had a 4th Order Fresnel lens installed in the lantern and an iron staircase. In addition a 2,000 pound fog bell was added to the station. In a storm in 1864 the bell was torn from its location by the sea and deposited it on the rocks below. Afterwards it was moved to a new bell tower located 20 feet further from sea.
- No Comments