Portland Head Lighthouse, Maine
In 1820 Joshua Freeman became keeper and he received many guests at the light. Freeman earned additional money by selling ‘refreshments’ for 3 cents a glass to visitors. By the time John Watts became Keeper in 1849 the tower was infested with rats and the lighting apparatus was in poor condition. In addition, Watts would only sound the fog signal for captains who had paid him for the service.
- No Comments