Crossover Island Lighthouse, New York
In 1903 a 232 foot long seawall was built along the southern side of the island and filled with dirt to provide a lawn and garden for the Keeper and his family. An iron oil house was also added to the station. In 1909 Keeper Daniel Hill and his wife Cora arrived. They would spend the next 22 years keeping watch and raising their 7 children. Each day Keeper Hill would row them to a one room schoolhouse. One of the Hill children, Ralph Hill, wrote several books about his experiences of growing up on Crossover Island. The Hill’s transferred to the Ogdensburg Harbor Lighthouse up the river in 1931.
- No Comments