Fire Island Lighthouse, New York
In 1825 the government purchased a tract of land on the eastern side of Fire Island Inlet for $50. Construction began in 1826 of a lighthouse tower built of blue split stone in the shape of an octagonal pyramid 74 feet in height. The lantern of the tower was fitted with a chandelier of 18 oil lamps with 15 inch reflectors. The chandelier was made to rotate every 1 1/2 minutes to create a flashing pattern for the light. The tower was completed for a cost of almost $10,000.