Pointe à la Renommée Light, Quebec
During the late 19th century authorities established numerous lights along the Gapsé peninsula at the mouth of the St. Lawrence River. In order to fill a gap between the lights found at Cap-des-Rosiers (1858) and Cap-de-la-Madeleine (1876) Parliament approved a $4,000 grant to build a lighthouse at Pointe à la Renommée. A 50 foot tapered square wooden tower with an attached Keepers dwelling was completed in 1880. The tower was painted white with a horizontal black band as a daymark. A fixed white light varied by red flashes was provided by kerosene lamps with parabolic reflectors and was visible for 20 miles.
- No Comments