Isle La Motte Lighthouse, Vermont
In 1856 the Lighthouse Board purchased a plot of land on Isle La Motte for $50 to erect the first federal aid. An 18½ foot limestone tower was erected surmounted by a lens lantern. A local farmer was hired to climb the ladder to the lens and tend the light on a nightly basis. There were problems however, as the keeper lived a distance away from the light and the lantern would blow out at times.